Am 14.07.2015 um 22:47 schrieb Neil Bothwick:
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 22:12:09 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

You override profiles in /etc/portage/profile. In this case add
cat/pkg - hvm
to package.use.mask.

man portage for more information

ha, I had tried (among other things) package.use.unmask following the
convention used by package.mask/unmask. Thanks.

The directory is:

package.unmask

Read man portage. The answer you seek is there.

That's for unmasking packages, he wants to unmask USE flags. My previous
post got a bit mucked up, set from my phone. to clarify, add a line
to /etc/portage/profile/use.mask like this

app-emulation/xen-tools -hvm

Note the -, you are negating the mask. the syntax if perfectly logical if
you think about it with the right kind of logic.

Everything will be logical when you apply the right kind of logic ;)

Of course, there may be a very good reason why this flag is masked on
no-multilib profiles, in which case you will not only see why but get to
keep the resulting shrapnel.

I would say it is wrong to disable this flag in the first place, especially so without giving any warning, like when emerging xen-tools, that that flag is required for hardware virtualisation. The same goes for other flags which are alike as well.

Then, why doesn't the xen-tools package pull in /all/ required dependencies (like whatever provides stub-32.h) for hvm, like it pulls in quite a few other packages already. Maybe give a warning that some are packages you would otherwise not have with a no-multilib profile. That would be much better than forcing users to re-install just to get hvm with xen-tools.

Maybe I'll add that to the bug report.