On 16-Jul-15 22:08, James wrote:

I have similar setup as you and upgraded grub without any
problem. If beta2-r3 worked for you, beta2-r7 will as well.
If you did not disable /boot automount, there are no special
steps needed. Portage will mount /boot, update grub, and
dismound afterwards...

AHHHHH   do tell me more::

/dev/sda1   /boot        ext2    defaults,noatime     0 2
/dev/sda3   /            ext4    defaults,noatime     0 1
/dev/sda4   /usr/local   ext4    defaults,noatime     0 1

How do I make sure it's set to automount?

It is per default so. You can only disable it by some
variable (forgot its name). If you want to be sure, simply
mount /boot (if it is not yet) before updating grub.

changes I should make ?? I've been bitten too many times
on kernel updates to not be very cautious....--

No changes are necessary. Config-files remain as they were.
I'have been using grub2 since it went stable and never had
any problem with it...

Jarry