On Saturday 25 Jul 2015 10:16:39 meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I bought a Wifi USB dongle, on which box was stated: "Linux
> cpmpatible, driver available".
>
> As it seams, it was an advertising:
> The driver is a source code archive of the vendor -
> last updated for kernel ... 2.6.x.
>
> lsusb reports:
> Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:7601 Ralink Technology, Corp. MT7601U Wireless
> Adapter

I don't mean to sound pessimistic but my experience of fighting to get a
Ralink USB dongle working many years ago left me disappointed.  I was trying
to use an opensource driver back then and it was terribly unstable.  If you
can, I recommend to go back to the shop and buy something with an atheros
chipset which worked for me every time with in-kernel drivers.

> lspci does not say anything about this device.

You need the correct driver, which I understand is not in the kernel tree yet.

> I compiled "everything Ralink" into the kernel (4.1.3, vanilla),
> but still get only lsusb recognizing this.
>
> Any hope to get it running nonetheless somehow?

Go the the MediaTek website and download the appropriate linux driver.  Then
follow instructions here to install it manually:

Finally modprobe the newly built mt7601Usta module and the device should
hopefully show up.

--
Regards,
Mick