-----Original Message-----
From: Thanasis Papakonstantinou [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 23 September 2005 04:35
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB modem

A. Khattri wrote:
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Michael Kintzios wrote:

Googling around once you set your eyes on a particular USB modem usually
provides some useful clues.

Also reading /usr/src/linux/Documentation/usb/acm.txt might be useful.

i found this list
http://freewebhosting.hostdepartment.com/g/gromitkc/usblist.html
it is very interesting. Internet is full of resources.

Unfortunately i couldn't find any of those modems, in Greece. Anyway i
am not despaired yet, since in 5 days i am going to UK for studies, and
i hope that ther i could something that suites me

===========================
[MK]  You will probably find that an average user in the UK will readily
opt for an ADSL connection, rather than a dialup.  There's a few
companies that offer PayAsYouGo deals, or quite cheap 1Mb, or 2Mb
uncapped connections (say from £10 to £13 per month).  Have a look at
http://www.net4now.com/ for a selection, but be careful with the small
print (some of them want a 24 month contract!).  The dialup is still
good for occasional light users e.g. checking your pop mail every couple
of days and downloading small files/attachments.  As soon as you start
downloading music, or large files with study material from your
University's website you'll rack up a painful bill.  On the other hand
your Uni's computers are for free and so should be the 8Mb pipe that
usually comes with it!  The catch is that the lot would be sitting
behind a firewall/proxy filter, which I would expect it to be quite
restrictive on downloadable content.  Wait till you see what's available
when you land in the ol'Blighty.
--
Regards,
Mick