On 2015-07-30, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 20:32:05 +0200, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
>
>> Firstly I want to shrink the first partition and secondly it is a
>> plain FAT32 partition not ext-something. I did not find a
>> "resizefat32" or similiar.
>
> You need fatresize, which doesn't appear to be in portage. The approach
> when reducing a partition's size is to first reduce the size of the
> filesystem, to slightly less than the final partition size for safety.
> Then delete and recreate the partition, with the same starting point.
> Finally resize the filesystem to fill the new partition.
>
>> What tools do I need?
>
> The easiest way is probably to use GParted, which does all the hard work
> for you, just tell it the new size of the partition. It will also create
> the second partition for you, as a bonus.

I've read good things about Parted Magic:

  https://partedmagic.com/

AFAICT, it's a friendly front-end to parted (as is GParted), but also
includes some extra abilities like cloning partitions and disks for
backup purposes.

>> (beside the way to backup the SDcard, reinitialize it, put 2
>> partitions on it and copy back the stuff.)
>
> Given that you should backup any important data before resizing any
> filesystem, this may be the easiest method.

I've had resize operations go pear-shaped on me.  I haven't seen it
often, but I wouldn't attempt a resize without a backup copy of the
partition involved.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Did YOU find a
                                  at               DIGITAL WATCH in YOUR box