A tad off-topic, but John, why don't you setup a mailing list and have the PTA members join?

On 9/23/05, John Jolet < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sep 23, 2005, at 3:31 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:38:07 -0400, Sean Lester wrote:
>

>> That's it.  I didn't think the ISP would block outgoing port 25.
>>

> Unfortunately, quite a lot seem to do it. it's a lazy and lame
> "solution"
> to spam trojans. Other ISPs forward all port 25 connections to
> their own
> SMTP server, so your mail may not be delivered directly, but it is
> delivered.
>
> Even if port 25 isn't blocked or redirected, it is often worth
> using your
> ISP's relay even if you have a broadband connection. Some ISP's block
> incoming mail from IP ranges allocated to broadband users as an
> anti-spam
> measure.

one unfortunately corollary to this is my isp doesn't block outgoing
port 25, but DOES limit the number of emails you send via their
relay.  I send a newsletter for my kids' school's pta and I could not
do that if I couldn't send at least a chunk of them directly.