On Tue, 4 Aug 2015, Daniel Frey wrote:
> I found that I had to do it in little pieces at a time and portage got
> in my way constantly. I wish there was a setting to just forcibly
> compile a package and then manually deal with breakage afterward with
> something like revdep-rebuild, rather than trying to solve problems it
> can't deal with beforehand. It would have been a lot easier.

You can do that, just go into /usr/portage and treat the whole thing like
a BSD ports system. When you're in a package directory execute

    ebuild <package>.ebuild merge

and portage will do it's thing, only without checking dependencies. So
you'll probably get configure failures, but once a package is built that
way portage will treat it as though it were installed normally.