On 06/08/2015 18:18, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for my tablet PC I used a used 32GB FAT32 formatted SDcard. The
> formatting was already done by the manufacturer.
> Then I screwed it up and had to do the partioning and formatting
> myself again. "No big deal", I thought -- and was wrong.
> Yes, the "thing" I got could be read and written. But it was
> DAMN slow in comparison to the original formatting.
>
> I googled and found a description, which described exactly,
> what I wanted: An optimal formatting for one big FAT32 partion.
> I did it again ;) and: TADA! The speed was back.
> LINK:http://zero1-st.blogspot.de/2012/05/formatting-fat32-volumes-larger-than.html
>
> Now I need the something identical but explained in a way
> that it can be successfully applied to any partion layout
> and any SDcard size.
> Currently the new SDcard has 64GB (yes, the tablet eats that size
> well :) and needs at least two partions: One FAT32 and one ext4.
> May be that I need a different layout later.
>
> To what aspect and "logic" do I have to keep my eyes on, when
> it comes partioning/formatting any SDcard size with any partion
> layout and any filesystem?

As I understand it, the most critical thing is to keep the FS block size
aligned with the native block alignment of the device.

Example: Using 4k blocks that start at 1k is obviously going to be a
problem - writing one block of data to the FS will always involve
writing two blocks to the physical device

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com