On Fri, 07 Aug 2015 04:40:12 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

> > Didn't we cover this already? You have GRUB installed to boot your
> > other distros, all you need to do is add a stanza for Gentoo to your
> > existing menu.lst.
>
> Subject only got touched. That's all I *need* to do. :-)

Yes :)

> My machines have lots of installations[1], so my master bootloaders
> only load default kernels (via symlink vmlinuz-cur), installation
> kernel(s), memtest(s), or chainload. I maintain these manually.
>
> Bootloaders on my / partitions are chainloaded to for choosing among
> multiple installed kernels per distro. Their menus are typically
> maintained automatically by them rather than me.

With GRUB2 you can simply source the other menu files from  the main
menu, I don't know if dinoGRUB had this feature.

> >> Why is root=/dev/ram0 real_root= in the sample/prototype?
>
> > That's for using an initrd, specifically the one produced by
> > genkernel. With no initrd you simply give the actual root device.
>
> I can't remember ever using a distro without an initrd before Gentoo, or
> needing /dev/ram* to boot except for an installation kernel.

Like I said, it's the genkernel way of doing things. I never liked
genkernel so never had to deal with that. I used to create my own
initramfs's, but dracut made it too easy so I let that do all the work
now.

--
Neil Bothwick

Of all the people I've met you're certainly one of them