On 08/18/2015 06:38 PM, walt wrote:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 18:03:31 -0700
John Campbell <jdc....@cox.net> wrote:

I haven't really been following this closely but I haven't seen any
suggestion to use "emerge -1 --quiet=y smart-live-rebuild"  to remove
the offending curses output.  Hopefully emerge doesn't check/use
curses unless it's producing actual output.

A very obscure hint, and I like it :)  I have no trouble emerging
packages (at the moment) so I emerged app-portage/smart-live-rebuild,
which dragged in eselect-package-manager as a dependency.

'eselect package-manager list' shows only portage as installed, even
though I now also have porthole and smart-live-rebuild installed too.

Do you see something different?

I only have portage as a manager. You probably have to re-emerge porthole to get it to show up.

Your problem seems to be a portage/ncurses mismatch. Once you fix that you should be able to at least see the output from your initial "smart-live-rebuild"

Whenever I have a problem with python throwing out library mismatch errors I look to emerge everything from the program to the library. Something along the way has probably lost it's library... And as python's an interpreted language revdep-rebuild won't find it.

Do you get different output from "emerge @smart-live-rebuild" than from "smart-live-rebuild"? I personally don't use the "smart-live-rebuild" script but instead rely on the "emerge @smart-live-rebuild" set. But that's just my preference and really shouldn't make any difference.

How about "emerge --color=n --nospinner -p @smart-live-rebuild" Color and spinners are the only things in portage that should be using curses.

Maybe "emerge --quiet=y -a @smart-live-rebuild"