Are packages of major versions of PHP all slotted now?
In trying to upgrade from 5.3 to 5.6 I get the following query:

# emerge -uDatvk dev-lang/php

 * IMPORTANT: 8 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news read to view new items.

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB

!!! The following installed packages are masked:
- dev-lang/php-5.3.28-r3::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Brian Evans <grkni...@gentoo.org> (22 Mar 2015)
# PHP 5.3.x is vulnerable to several security bugs and has
# reached EOL status. (Bugs #533998, #537586, #537590, #538822, #541098)
# Masked pending resolution to bug #538756

For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

 * dev-lang/php:5.3
 * dev-lang/php:5.4
 * dev-lang/php:5.5

Would you like to add these packages to your world favorites? [Yes/No]

I always thought the idea of adding specific slots to my world file a bad idea ?

- A