On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Michel Catudal <mcatu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Le 2015-08-27 23:36, Fernando Rodriguez a écrit :
>>
>> On Thursday, August 27, 2015 9:25:01 PM Michel Catudal wrote:
>>>
>>> This is nonsense. I have never had a case where it would not boot when I
>>
>> have grub correctly installed on the partition.
>>
>> Install grub to a partition and do something like this:
>>
>> su
>> cd
>> mv /boot/grub grub
>> cp -r grub /boot
>> rm -r grub
>>
> What is your point? same if I do that with grub1, it was even more fun with
> windows 98 by deleting win.ini or renaming it "win .ini"
> With grub on the partition my bootloader doesn't get wacked and I can
> restore the OS if I do a stupid thing like this.

I think you missed his point.  If you do those commands your system
will actually reboot just fine most likely.  Today.

It might reboot tomorrow too.

A few weeks from now it probably won't.

Copying and deleting the grub stages doesn't bother grub one bit.  On
the other hand, overwritting those no-longer-allocated blocks with
other data will.

And that is why you need to use --force to make grub behave in this manner.

--
Rich