I see there have been a change in how we list our specific use flags.

I'm seeing /etc/portage/package.use/ pkg1 pkg2 ... etc rather than
package.use as a file that contains the specific pkgs and use flags.

I wonder if there is some advantage to leaving things as my
installation has created them or should I revert to the old way where
package.use is file... not a directory.

If directory is better then how would I list USE flags for emacs-vcs?

Just create a file `/etc/portage/package.use/emacs-vcs' with USE flags
Or do I need to create another direrctorry within like:
   /etc/portage/package.use/app-editors/emacs-vcs?

I tried the later like so:
   /etc/portage/package.use/app-editors/emacs-vcs
where emacs-vcs contains:

   emacs-vcs Xaw3d athena gnutls imagemagick toolkit-scroll-bars

and this way:

   >=app-editors/emacs-vcs-25.0.50_pre20150731 Xaw3d athena gnutls imagemagick
toolkit-scroll-bars

But when I attempt emerging... the USE flags do not reflect those
choices and shows and error:

--- Invalid atom in /etc/portage/package.use/app-editors/emacs-vcs:
    >=app-editors/emacs-vcs

So what is the correct format?