Le 2015-08-30 11:56, Peter Humphrey a écrit :
On Sunday 30 August 2015 00:04:43 Philip Webb wrote:
How long do desktop users typically leave their systems between reboots ?
How long between power off/on's ?

I've long been in the habit of switching everything off while I sleep,
then restarting after I've woken & got going again myself.
However recently, I've run into delays getting my router
(only  1  device attached) to shake hands successfully with my ISP's server,
which have been requiring several power off/on's before it works.
As a result, I've started rebooting only after my weekly system update
-- it means I get to use the new versions of everything --
& not powering off at all ; the monitor + Xscreensaver are off
whenever I'm away from the machine for  >= 1 hr  (approx).

Are there any pro's/con's I sb aware of ?
No-one has yet mentioned taking backups. I'm still using a brute-force
approach, in which I shut down each of my two machines once a week to make a
backup to external disk. Otherwise they're on 24 hours a day running BOINC
projects. On the desktop PC kmail makes a daily archive of messages, and once
a day a cron job copies my user directory to /home/<me>.bu/ .

I know it burns energy but I'm prepared to make my small contribution to what
I think is a good cause.

Backups are vital for a server in company. At work we do a backup every day. At home, it depends how important your stuff is. For pictures you should always copy them on DVD. I regularly backup pictures for people who have ususable windows systems, for them the pictures are the most important stuff but they do not back them up.

Personally I don't like to do regular backups because that involves too many
DVDs. I probably should do my backups more often.
I do have 3 2TB hard disks with important data copied on each for redudancy. I
also have some backups on a 500G driver which is not powered usually. I also
make some backup on DVDs sometimes.
Anything that is of extreme importance I have in several DVDs which I make copies of every few months. I remembered that in the early days of CD that their life was rather limited and am not taking chances on DVD even though I think the technology is a lot better.

--
For Linux Software visit
http://home.comcast.net/~mcatudal