On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 00:19:08 -0400, cov...@ccs.covici.com wrote:

> Hi.  On my latest update of world, I have a few blockers which I am
> unable to figure out how to solve -- I will put the related output below
> with inserted comments.  I am using "unstable" gentooand I have masked
> ncurses-6 for the time being.  Portage also wants to downgrade my
> systemd from 221(0/2) to 219_p112(0/2).
>
> [blocks B      ] sys-apps/systemd[gudev(-)]
> ("sys-apps/systemd[gudev(-)]" is blocking dev-libs/libgudev-230)
> [blocks B      ] sys-apps/sysvinit ("sys-apps/sysvinit" is blocking
> sys-apps/systemd-219_p112) [blocks B      ] dev-libs/libgudev
> ("dev-libs/libgudev" is blocking sys-apps/systemd-219_p112)

You have omitted some important information before this, but the problem
you have is that something is trying to pull in libgudev, which is
provided by systemd and well, hence the blocker. Packages should depend on
virtual/libgudev, which avoids this type of conflict. Run the update
again --tree to see just what is trying to install libgudev.

> Total: 75 packages (64 upgrades, 1 downgrade, 7 new, 2 in new slots, 1
> reinstall), Size of downloads: 273,248 KiB Conflict: 3 blocks (3
> unsatisfied)

In this situation, with so many packages being updated, I try to reduce
the noise from portage by emerge --oneshot-ing anything in the list that
is not related to the blockers, it makes the tree output much easier to
work with.

--
Neil Bothwick

Some people are born mediocre, some people achieve mediocrity, and some
people have mediocrity thrust upon them.  - Joseph Heller, "Catch-22"