On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:20 AM, james <wirel...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
> I think most folks when purchasing a workstation include a graphics
> card on the list of items to include. So my suggestions where geared
> towards informing folks about some of the new features of gcc that
> may intice them to consider the graphics card resources in an
> expanded vision of general resources for their workstation.

Sure, but keep in mind depreciation.

If all you need today is a $30 graphics card, then you probably should
just spend $30.  If you think that software will be able to use all
kinds of fancy features on a $300 graphics card in two years, you
should just spend $30 today, and then wait two years and buy the fancy
graphics card on clearance for $10.

It is pretty rare that it is a wise move to spend money today on
computer hardware that you don't have immediate plans to use.  The
only time it might make sense is if some kind of QA process means that
you're going to spend a lot more money on re-qualifying your system
after the upgrade than it would cost to just do it once and overspend
on hardware.  However, in general I'm not a big fan of those kinds of
QA practices in the first place.

--
Rich