<waben...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I ran eix-test-obsolete and in the output, I get the following:
> >

> > The following installed packages are not in the database:
> >
> > sys-fs/-MERGING-static-dev
> > --
> >
> > Equery gives me this:
> >
> > root@fireball / # equery list *static-dev*
> >  * Searching for *static-dev* ...
> > !!! No installed packages matching '*static-dev*'
> > root@fireball / #
> >

> > Other tools report this:
> >

> > root@fireball / # emerge -s static-dev
> >
> > [ Results for search key : static-dev ]
> > Searching...
> >
> > *  sys-fs/static-dev
> >       Latest version available: 0.1
> >       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
> >       Size of files: 0 KiB
> >       Homepage:      https://bugs.gentoo.org/107875
> >       License:       GPL-2
> >
> > [ Applications found : 1 ]
> >
> > root@fireball / # eix static-dev
> > * sys-fs/static-dev
> >      Available versions:  0.1
> >      Homepage:            https://bugs.gentoo.org/107875
> >
> > root@fireball / #
> >

> > So, it's installed but I can't find it to remove it.  What the heck
> > is this about?  Anyone else ever run into this?  Is there a way to
> > "find" it??  Can I remove it somehow??
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dale
> >
> > :-)  :-)
> >

> It's also installed on my system and probably it's a forgotten relict
> from ancient times (my last gentoo installation on this machine was
> in 2007).
>
> To be honest, I never ran eix-test-obsolete. My system is running
> fine and atm I don't have much time. So I will leave it as it is.
>
> Maybe the static dev is useful in the case that udev refuses to work
> for any reason. :-)
>
> --
> Regards
> wabe

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the package is shown up when I search
for it. I don't have any clue why this is not the case for your system.

$ eix static-dev
[I] sys-fs/static-dev
     Available versions:  0.1{tbz2}
     Installed versions:  0.1{tbz2}(01:46:27 08.03.2013)
     Homepage:            https://bugs.gentoo.org/107875

$ equery list *static-dev*
 * Searching for *static-dev* ...
[IP-] [  ] sys-fs/static-dev-0.1:0