On 09/15/2015 01:58 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 15/09/2015 21:53, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
[snip]

>>> Yea, I almost had mine working but I just got tired of hacking
>>> away at it. It would be more straightforward to take an rpm or deb
>>> package and use it. Folks have made specific models work, but, it
>>> is a bit of work.
>>>
>>> 'eix -R brother' shows quite a few overlays (ebuilds) that cover
>>> a range of brother printers, should you desire to hack that route.
>>

>> To install brother printer just follow these steps from Gentoo forum:
>> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-909052-highlight-brother.html
>

> Or just don't install Brother printers. They are utter crap and why
> anyone gives them desk space is beyond me. It's not like they are
> expensive either, toss 'em and buy something real.
>
> Recent Samsung, Epson and everything supported by hplip all work great.

I had a different experience with Samsung printers.  I bought one model
and it had a big bold letters that it works with Linux.
When I try to install printer driver, it was impossible. It came with
some kind of script the relied on an old/obsolete library so it was
impossible to install it.

On Fedora, script installs brother printer base on Brother source
web-page driver, it works perfectly.  On Gentoo it is a manual/painful
setup if you doing it the first time.

Thelma