On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 09:24:39PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 17/09/2015 20:50, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
> > On 09/17/2015 10:03 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >> Anyone here familiar with driving nodejs and npm?
> >>
> >> I'm trying to write an ebuild for a musicbrainz mirror server and "npm
> >> install" keeps erroring out with one of two errors:

Haha, npm. First time I ever ran npm, it required 3 runs before it
actually managed to fetch all the dependencies. Hopefully it's better
now.

> > 2) The right way to do it is to use an eclass and install all of the
> > dependencies using separate packages. As you can imagine, this is a
> > nightmare if you have more than a few dependencies (looks like you do).
>
> Errr, no :-)
>
> g-cpan is bad enough and those ebuilds are mostly template-able. At
> least CPAN modules mostly respond correctly to make && make install.
> That node stuff doesn't look like it will ever package sanely.

Unfortunately, the right way with nodejs/ruby web stuff is to use the
tooling specific to the language. If this[1] is what you're trying to
deploy, I feel sorry.

If I was serious about deploying this, I would:

1. Fork the repo and add a remote on my own server
2. Add your custom configuration
3. Write a small shell script that
  1. Runs `git pull` from your own infrastructure
  2. Installs perl/node deps locally
  3. Runs the gulp build
  4. Runs plackup
4. Add an init script that runs that start script

This sucks, but it seems to be the way a lot of web stuff is deployed
these days.

Hope this helps,

Alec

[1] https://github.com/metabrainz/musicbrainz-server