On 22/09/2015 18:39, James wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>>> I'll add --oneshot to the EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS=  in make.conf.

>>> One thing I see, is now you have a system that is full of pkg that do
>>> not update normally. I guess I'm say if you install pakages with --oneshot,
>>> they are not automatically updated, or are they? (discussion).
>
>>> 'emerge -uDNv world' is the most common form of update, probably, used
>>> by gentoo users. So how to best ferret out those oneshot packages for
>>> update; and that's if they should be updated....  semantics on that?
>
>> I think you two have it backwards.
>
> mostly true for routine users. I myself find myself testing codes
> and inter operability between codes and stuff I write, more that
> just installing from the portage tree. I guess you could say I'm moving
> from user to hacker status (with extreme prejudice). I do not alway
> remember (-1); particularly when manually cleansing problems like the recent
> ncurses episode. I like Dale's approach. I just need a tool option or simple
> script that tells me what is installed and not in @system or @world.
> Surely this code/option exist and I have just missed it in the literature?
>

>> The intended workflow is that if you emerge something, you know what it
>> is, you don't have to make further decisions about it and you want it
>> in world.
>
> users yes, hackers no. For a long time, I just used gentoo.
> Now I'm coding (specifcations --> architecture --> then code)
> and hacking (modifying other codes) quite a lot. I have a robust
> world file that migrates from workstation to workstation and only
> update it, replace pkgs, or add a select few niftyones, like
> trace-cmd and heaptrack.
>
> So I'm not suggesting this for normal, new gentoo users.
>

>  <at> world, by definition, is the list of packages you want. That plus
>  <at> system plus all deps constitutes the set of what should be on the
> system, anything you have not in that set is subject to depcleaning
>
> true.
>
> If you are not sure about some package, by all means emerge it with -1.
> Check it out, verify it, make sure it does what you want then get it in
> world with emerge -n. Why would you want to have stuff around for
> extended periods that is not in world?
>
> Again, user focused, mostly true.
>
> If you have a package that you no longer want (as you know what is in
> your world right), unmerge it with -C
>
> It's not that simple. I'm spending a large amount of my gentoo-admin
> time installing--testing--marinating--modifying--testing--removal.
> Dale's simple suggesting is brilliant for my needs. (thx Dale).
>
> Don't make life difficult for yourself. It's MUCH easier to know what's
> in world than to try and remember what should be and isn't.
>
> Users (YES)   hackers(??? no in my case).
>
> Sorry bro, I'm running with Dale in this one.

Portage can help with that then.

The trick is to realise the exact question you are asking: what packages
do I have installed for testing purposes and that are not in world?

Seeing as @world is really just a regular set, use sets to your
advantage. Create as many or as few or you need in /etc/portage/sets/
and emerge them (or just add the set name to /var/lib/portage/world_sets)

They will update with a deep world update, but they are together in one
place where you can add and remove them at will. Just don't do

emerge @set_name, that won;t do an update, it will re-emerge everything
in the set

> Now, I still need a --oneshot parser solution for vdb (/var/db/pkg/)?

--depclean

If portage wants to take it out, it's not in world or a dep. To the best
of my knowledge portage does not record that you used -1, it simply does
not add the package to world. So you need to do it the long way, which
is what --depclean does

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com