> > > Possible causes:
> > > 1. USB stick doesn't work as boot device
> Ok, so scratch that one.
Okay, done.

> > > 2. USB port is not supported by kernel
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean. Is there any option I should enable for
> > genkernel? I read on the Wiki page that
>
> It works with Arch, are you using the same kernel options now with Gentoo?
Yeah, I tried many more here actually, with Arch I only need APPEND root=...
(no rootfstype, ro, rw, rootdelay, etc.).

> > > 3. You don't use root_delay as boot option
> > If that's what I think it is, I tell syslinux to wait 5 seconds.
(turns out it's not what I thought it was, though I did try root_delay, it is
actually rootdelay...)
> How do you tell it that?
Here's my syslinux.cfg with more comments:
PROMPT 1
TIMEOUT 50      # <-- here
DEFAULT gentoo

LABEL gentoo
        LINUX ../kernel-genkernel-x86-4.0.5-gentoo
        INITRD ../initramfs-genkernel-x86-4.0.5-gentoo
        APPEND rootdelay=5 root=UUID="6fc386ff-8342-42a2-be02-51a6eccf8430"
rootfstype=ext4
        #       ^^--- I added this just now because you said so, though in the
last message I had root_delay
        # Neither of those has any effect (conditions 2 and 3 I told you about
remain as they were)
        # (as I thought this has nthing to do with the bootloader)
# pen (normalmente /dev/sdb4): UUID="6fc386ff-8342-42a2-be02-51a6eccf8430"
TYPE="ext4" PARTLABEL="Root Gentoo GNU/Linux"
PARTUUID="9c4f6479-9dd7-4a8f-86f2-f1320cc15aa5"

> I never used an initrd when building my own USB sticks.
I don't know, I always used an initrd. Though I must say, that is the
phase of starting the PC I understand the worst.
> I was talking about:
>         rootdelay=      [KNL] Delay (in seconds) to pause before attempting to
>                         mount the root filesystem
>
> (See the file "kernel-parameters.txt" in the kernel Documentation)
(I'm guessing I'm not supposed to include this in the boot loader config...)

> That's a default signature... :)
Ah, so that's why it showed with a couple of dashes above it :)

All the best,
João Miguel