On 2015-10-20 12:10, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
Hello, Gentoo.

Every time I shut down my gentoo system with "shutdown -h now", it beeps
at me.  This is becoming steadily more irritating as the months go by.
Just what is this beep supposed to be telling me?  I _know_ I'm shutting
the machine down.

Eh, you may not know. What if someone is SSH'd in and shuts it down? Anyways, disabling this is always the first thing I do when I boot ArchLinux.

Can anybody here tell me how to disable this <beep>ing annoyance?

I am unfortunately on a Windows box and do not have access to Linux at the moment, but there is a kernel module - pcspkr - that causes this. You can remove this from your kernel config to prevent it from ever happening again. It is also possible to blacklist it, but I'm not sure how to do that since I only build in modules for my kernels that I may need/are useful.

To test right now, you can 'rmmod pcspkr' and try shutting down.

Alec