Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 03/11/2015 18:05, Dale wrote:
>>

>> I don't know if this will help or not but since you seem to be grasping
>> at straws, grab this one and hold on for dear life.  For the longest
>> time, every time hplip, cups and friends were updated, I had to delete
>> and readd my printer.  If I didn't, printing was not going to happen,
>> period.  I might also add, I'd restart cups just to be sure, after the
>> delete and again after the readd.  Once I did that, printing worked like
>> a charm.  If I didn't know better, I'd think the ink lasted longer too.
>> ROFL  Just kidding but . . . .   If nothing else works, may want to try
>> that.
>>
>> Oh, the last time I did the setup, I ignored cups completely.  I went in
>> as root and set up the printer using the hplip command.  That was at
>> least a couple years ago.  Since then, whenever I get ready to print,
>> and replace the dried out cartridges, it just works.  I have a D4260,
>> currently out of ink, again.
>>
>> I think the actual command is hp-setup.  I use KDE and that opens a GUI
>> to do the set up.  Generally, it is just clicking next.  It just seems
>> to figure out the rest itself, unless you have more than one printer
>> hooked up then you may have to select something.
>>
>> None of this may help but maybe one will.  May be worth a shot.  ;-)
> That's my experience too. I print very little by for ages now everytime
> a change was made to a printer or cups (even teeny minor ones), I'd
> delete and re-add all printers plus restart cups.
>
> Why does cups behave like this? Buggered if I know. I have an
> unexpressable opinion based on a certain fruity vendor who seems better
> at suing Samsung than actually writing code....

For some reason, cups just doesn't like HP, at least in my case.  I've
had that problem for ages until a couple years or so ago.  I always used
cups to setup and mange the printer.  After getting enough of it one
day, I stopped cups.  I then set up the printer with hplip.  It took
less than a minute to do to, just keep clicking next for me.  After I
did that, I don't think I have had to delete/readd the printer since.  I
know I have updated both cups and hplip too, likely several times.  No
telling what has been updated that they depend on.

Maybe I got lucky or maybe just not using cups works.  Odd thing is,
when I rebooted later, cups started automatically and the printer still
works and the printer shows up in cups.  It's been working ever since.
So, kick cups out of the way, set it up using only hplip stuff and see
what happens.  Heck, it just may work.  :/

Now if I can just get Seamonkey and Firefox to stop defaulting to
English (United Kingdom) instead of English (United States) I'll be even
happier.  o_O

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  I got my elcheapo ebay cartridges today.  It still prints fine.
:-D   Oooo, pretty colors too.