All my machines run gentoo / systemd / gnome3

On my older laptop when I plug in a data cd I get a popup suggesting
that I open it with files.  All is well

On my newer laptop the disk spins up but no popup appears.
What must I configure?

On the old machine there is a directory /run/media/ with a subdirectory
gottlieb.  The data cd is mounted there.  Looking at df gives
/dev/sr0        286490   286490      0 100% /run/media/gottlieb/COD3E

The new machine does not even have /dev/sr0.

Am I missing a kernel option

I have the following in scsi device support.

      < > RAID Transport Class
      -*- SCSI device support
      [ ] SCSI: use blk-mq I/O path by default
      [*] legacy /proc/scsi/ support
          *** SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM) ***
      <*> SCSI disk support
      < > SCSI tape support
      < > SCSI OnStream SC-x0 tape support
      <*> SCSI CDROM support
      [*]   Enable vendor-specific extensions (for SCSI CDROM)
      <*> SCSI generic support
      < > SCSI media changer support
      [*] Verbose SCSI error reporting (kernel size +=12K)
      [ ] SCSI logging facility
      [ ] Asynchronous SCSI scanning
          SCSI Transports  --->
      [ ] SCSI low-level drivers  ----