On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 09:05:02AM +0100, Ralf wrote:
> On 11/12/2015 01:08 AM, Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
> > I do not run any APs, but I manage plenty of laptops with 5GHz Intel
> > chipsets, and never had a problem. Is there any reason you are not
> > using a dedicated AP instead of a wireless card in AP mode?
>
> I also thought so, but according to a friend of mine, running a card in
> AP or monitor mode is quite different as running a card as client.
> Especially if you want to have a dual stack ability.

That makes sense. In my apartment I have a dedicated Netgear router and a
dedicated TP-LINK AP. The AP was around $20, and has fantastic range.
Having a dedicated AP sounds way easier to me than trying to do a
dual-stack thing.

Now that I think a bit more about it, having a wireless AP and a
wireless client on the same chip doesn't sound good, since one MAC
address would be doing two functions. That said, I am not even close to
a networking guru; I hope someone else can chime in.

Alec