On 12/11/2015 18:42, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2015-11-12, <waben...@gmail.com> <waben...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> After an emerge --sync that appeared to work with no problems, my
>>> "emerge -auvND world" command is reporting that the Changelong files
>>> are broken for about 2/3 of the packages it wants to update:
>>>
>>> !!! Digest verification failed:
>>> !!! /usr/portage/dev-libs/libxml2/ChangeLog
>>> !!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
>>> !!! Got: 5221
>>> !!! Expected: 5038
>>>
>>> !!! Digest verification failed:
>>> !!! /usr/portage/app-text/iso-codes/ChangeLog
>>> !!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
>>> !!! Got: 4195
>>> !!! Expected: 4014
>>>
>>> [ ... and so on for another dozen or so packages ... ]
>>>
>>> I removed the emerge timestamp, sync'ed again, and got the same
>>> result.  Based on past experiences, I'm guessing that if I wait a day
>>> or two and sync again the problems will go away.
>>>
>>> But I am curious what causes these temporary breakages.  Does anybody
>>> know how this happens?
>>
>> Try it again. I just synced and received new Manifest and Changelog
>> files for every(?) package of the portage tree. But no report of bad
>> digest.
>
> Just for fun, I removed the files from the portage tree that were
> reported as bad, and did another sync.  Apparently, the rsync host
> that got chosen that time had just been updated, because it downloaded
> 313 files (I didn't pay much attention to which files exactly), and
> now emerge is happy again.
>
> I assume that the portage trees on the rsync servers from my first two
> attempts were in some intermediate state with new manifist files and
> old ChangeLog files or vice versa.
>
> In the past I've wondered how portage tree updates and rsync servers
> are managed so that people don't run into problems like this more
> often.

The dev are doing some $MAGIC to reinstate ChangeLogs and the first run
is expected to take a while (i.e. several hours). I suppose you can
expect some breakage till it finishes.

It's being discussed and tracked on gentoo-dev, you can drop a mail
there with specifics to let the devs know what's happening.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com