Installed 2.6.11-hardnend-r15 to use as a secondary DNS server for the
four domains I have. I can get named to start but it's by brute force,
and I want to understand/fix the problem with it not starting via the
default init script.

Here is what the start{} section of /etc/init.d/named looked like
originally:

start() {
        ebegin "Starting ${CHROOT:+chrooted }named"
        checkconfig || return 1
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile ${PIDFILE} --exec
/usr/sbin/named -u named -n ${CPU} ${OPTIONS} ${CHROOT:+-t $CHROOT}
        eend $?
}

With that init script, here is the result I get:

ns BYoung # /etc/init.d/named start
 * Starting named ...
usage: named [-c conffile] [-d debuglevel] [-f|-g] [-n number_of_cpus]
             [-p port] [-s] [-t chrootdir] [-u username]
named: extra command line arguments                [ !! ]
ns BYoung #

If I change the start{} section of /etc/init.d/named to this:

start() {
        ebegin "Starting ${CHROOT:+chrooted }named"
        checkconfig || return 1
        /usr/sbin/named -u named -n 1
        eend $?
}

Then I get this result:

ns BYoung # /etc/init.d/named start
 * Re-caching dependency info (mtimes differ)...
 * Starting named ...                            [ ok ]
ns BYoung #

1. Why does the original version of the init script not work?

2. What I can change so that it will work?

Please don't hesitate to ask for further information if there is
something I've left out that would be relevant or helpful.

Thanks for any Help
Bob Young