On Wed, Dec 09, 2015 at 11:03:23PM +0100, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote
> Am 2015-12-09 um 22:49 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
>
> > Sounds like you're all set to use that i7 to it's fullest :-)
>
> most of my work is terminal stuff ... and email
>
> the i7-2600 does that as well, if we are honest!
>
> I will give the i7-2xxx to someone with a way older CPU ... so it all
> works out in a way ;-)
>
> the i7-6700 should be more snappy in a way. And I think, some fitting
> CFLAGS will help as well.

  You can't get beat...

CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe -fno-unwind-tables
-fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"

  That's what I use, except for cross-compiling.  For an explanation of
the "unwind" flags, see thread...
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.busybox/36695  from the busybox
mailing list.  And don't forget CPU_FLAGS_X86.  Emerge and run
app-portage/cpuinfo2cpuflags as soon as you can during the install
process.  I believe that's right after running "eselect profile".  And
then run "emerge system && emerge world".  It's a lot quicker when you
don't have very much installed on the machine.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>