Apologies if this is a duplicate/triplicate.  I don't think the first
attempts got through.  Going through my backup provider (dialup) this
time.

  I have QEMU installed on a 64-bit Gentoo machine.  I'm now installing
a 32-bit Gentoo guest.  The "cdrom" (actually the minimal install ISO
file) boots, and dhcpcd hands out IP address 10.0.2.15 and gateway
10.0.2.2.  The install can connect to the outside world via the "links"
browser and it can ssh into the host machine 192.168.123.249 and visa
versa.  But the host ssh's into the guest install session via a port
redirection into itself. ( ssh -p 2222 localhost )

  For various reasons, I need another physical machine on my small home
LAN to be able to talk directly to the 32-bit guest.  I've read the
"Network setup" at http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/KvmOnGentoo    Is the
/etc/conf.d/net being reffered to, the one on the host or on the guest?
The webpage doesn't say explicitly.

  I also don't understand how other machines will be able to
differentiate between the host and the guest.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>