On Tuesday 29 Dec 2015 10:20:23 J. Roeleveld wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 29, 2015 09:53:24 AM Mick wrote:
> > Have you been able to use Kmail2 reliably on a *laptop*?  What problems
> > have you experienced?  Has intermittent network availability caused loss
> > of messages?  Any gotchas and workarounds?  Any suggestions?
>
> I have been using Kmail2 for a couple of years now (ever since it became
> stable in portage)
> I had some issues over this time as well, but as I had already switched
> over to IMAP over 10 years ago, I never actually lost any emails and could
> easily fix this by deleting the local file-cache and database.

This is good to know.  An earlier akonadi bug would actually delete files on
the server.  O_O

> Currently I run it on my laptop (quad-core, 16GB ram, SSD) succesfully.

Hmm ... my laptop is also quad-core, but has only 4G RAM.  I hope this is not
going to be a problem.

> Here is how I set it up:
> 1) Run Postgresql
> 2) I run the DB "natively" (eg. do NOT let akonadi start an "embedded" db)
> 3) Configure mail accounts (including GMail) as IMAP
> 4) Configure mail accounts to keep a copy locally
>
> Apart from a lengthy synchronize period (I do have emails dating back to
> 1997 on the server) and occasionally a process going up to 100%, it
> doesn't prevent me from actually using the laptop for other things.

I take this to mean that the Kmail interface does not freeze up and you can
continue to read/delete messages, change folders, etc.?

> As I take it along to customers as well, I am dependent on their WIFI
> systems. These are not the best, eg. I have experienced networking issues
> a lot. Not lost any messages and haven't had to restart the mail cache for
> a year now. (Since I switched away from embedded Mysql to "native"
> Postgresql)
>
> --
> Joost

Thank you Joost, this is very useful to know.  What do you mean by "haven't
had to restart the mail cache"?  Do you mean you did not have to delete the
akonadi database(s) and restart it?

--
Regards,
Mick