lee <l...@yagibdah.de> wrote:

> cov...@ccs.covici.com writes:
>
> > lee <l...@yagibdah.de> wrote:

> >> Can you definitely mount the share from a remote Linux client without
> >> problems?

> > I don't have any remote linux client and this is samba, used so that
> > windows can access the share.
>
> You could make a copy of everything in the inaccessible share, make a
> new share with settings identical to the settings of the shares that are
> still accessible when copying has finished, and try to access the new
> share with a remote client.
>
> If you can access the new share, either something with the old one is
> weird, or you have changed something like permissions or extended
> attributes by copying.
>

> If you cannot access the new share, try a different kernel version (or
> try a different kernel version first).  I've had a case in which a
> kernel would freeze/panic when the directory contents of a directory
> that was exported via NFS were displayed with ls on a NFS client.
>
> IIRC samba uses kernel support on the server.  Perhaps you have a
> version mismatch between the new samba version and what the kernel
> supports.

The share is my whole system, so obviously I cannot copy to a new
share.  I have one share working correctly -- the files under that share
are owned by the user that I am logging in as, so if I log in as root,
you would think I could access everything, so this is very strange.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici
         cov...@ccs.covici.com