On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 19:21:01 +0100, lee wrote:

> > As 4.9.3 is marked stable, I guess that's what'd you get per
> > default.
>
> 4.8.5
>
> I'd have to run emerge --sync to know about more recent versions.  How
> is that supposed to be used, btw?  I only run that when I do want to
> update everything.  Now if I didn't want to update anything but gcc,
> could I run emerge --sync and install gcc 5.x without having trouble

Emerge --sync only updates the portage tree, so

emerge --sync
emerge -a sys-devel/gcc:5

> with anything else I might install before actually updating everything?
> So if I'd never explicitly update everything but run emerge --sync
> frequently, things would be updated over time, occasionally?

No, nothing would get updated. To do that you need to run emerge @world
after emerge --sync.

> > Stuff compiled with older gcc's should run with newer libgcc*[0], but
> > stuff compililed with a newer gcc might not run with the older
> > libgcc*. Same goes, with more problems IIRC, for libstdc++.
> > So beware of that. Apart from that? I'm not aware of problems.
>
> Uhm ... So I might break the system by switching between compiler
> versions?

That's highly unlikely as software that has been compiled with the old
compiler will still work. You may find that some programs fail to
recompile with the new compiler, but I didn't experience that with the
4.9>5 step, although I had some that would build with 4.8 but not 4.9.

I have an application which I would like to compile with gcc
> 5.x just to see if that's even possible.  I could switch, try it, and
> then switch back.

Exactly, run gcc-config, compile/emerge the program, run gcc-config again.

> > BTW: why is gcc not also handled via eselect? Even if that'd just
> > call gcc-config?

There was a gcc eselect module but it was dropped in favour of gcc-config
as it didn't do what was needed of it. This is not unique to gcc, we also
have binutils-config. As to why no one has written an eselect wrapper for
either of these, I'd guess it's harder than it sounds or no one who can
do it feels the need.

--
Neil Bothwick

Windows Error #02: Multitasking attempted. System confused.