On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 23:16:48 +0100, lee wrote:

> > I would run btrfs on bare partitions and use btrfs's raid1
> > capabilities.  You're almost certainly going to get better
> > performance, and you get more data integrity features.
>
> That would require me to set up software raid with mdadm as well, for
> the swap partition.

There's no need to use RAID for swap, it's not like it contains anything
of permanent importance. Create a swap partition on each disk and let
the kernel use the space as it wants.

> The relevant advantage of btrfs is being able to make snapshots.  Is
> that worth all the (potential) trouble?  Snapshots are worthless when
> the file system destroys them with the rest of the data.

You forgot the data checksumming. If you use hardware RAID then btrfs
only sees a single disk. It can still warn you of corrupt data but it
cannot fix it because it only has the one copy.

> Well, then they need to make special provisions for swap files in btrfs
> so that we can finally get rid of the swap partitions.

I think there are more important priorities, its not like having a swap
partition or two is a hardship or limitation.

--
Neil Bothwick

Being politically correct means always having to say you're sorry.