On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 1:44 AM, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
> On Monday, January 18, 2016 02:02:27 AM lee wrote:
>>
>> You would have a full VM for each user?
>
> Yes
>
>> That would be a huge waste of resources,
>
> Diskspace and CPU can easily be overcommitted.
> The biggest reason why I don't use KVM is the lack of full snapshot
> functionality. Snapshotting disks is nice, but you end up with an unclean-
> shutdown situation and anything that's not yet committed to disk is gone.

Seems like on linux a straightforward design would be spinning up
containers on demand, with snapshots underneath.  Granted, somebody
still needs to build it, but spinning up a container per user isn't
much more resource-intensive than just running x2go with multiple
users in a single namespace which is how it works today.  It certainly
would be less wasteful than a full VM.  They also launch and shutdown
super-fast.

Of course, this is a linux-only solution (or BSD I believe).  You're
not going to be able to do this with OSX/Windows guests.

--
Rich