On Wed, 20 Jan 2016 16:21:42 -0800, Grant wrote:

> I would
> need to be able to rsync to the laptop and I'd rather not be involved
> in the remote employee's router config.  Is there an easier solution
> for that than OpenVPN?

There is ZeroTier as a replacement for OpenVPN, and Syncthing for
syncing. Both are P2P solutions and you can run your own discovery
servers if you don't want any traffic going through a 3rd party (although
they don't send data through the servers).

I've no idea whether that would meet your security criteria but it
certainly fulfils the "easier than OpenVPN" one. It will take only a few
minutes to install and setup using the public servers, although, as I
said, your network is never public, so you can check whether they do what
you want. Then you can look at hosting your own server for security.

https://www.zerotier.com/
https://syncthing.net/

--
Neil Bothwick

Software: (n.) That which hardware manufacturers can blame for physical
failures.