On Tuesday 02 Feb 2016 09:38:33 meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:

> The harddisk in question is this little external
> USB hd, which is used for data storage only.
> It is by far no server disk or anything else
> high-end-24/7-thingy... ;)
>
> Best regards,
> Meino

I was running a 350GB WD Passport plugged into an embedded SoC device, for 6
years non-stop, except when power cuts caused the embedded device to
stop/crash, or when I rebooted it (less than a dozen times a year).  When it
died on me I replaced it with another WD Passport, this time 1TB.  It's been
running for 1.5 years so far.  I have never interfered with whatever its own
USB controller wants to do with its spin cycles.  I never saw a reason to.
--
Regards,
Mick