Dale wrote:
> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> I'd like to stay on kernel-4.1.6, rather than keep installing the
>> newest version at each upgrade.
>>
>> As I recall, and a quick look at `man portage', a file named
>> `package.provided' is meant for such things.
>>
>> The syntax is not described in detail... I tried these:
>>
>>   /etc/portage/package.provided
>>
>>   >=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.6
>>
>> Still `emerge -vp gentoo-sources' indicates it will install the most
>> recent kernel.
>>
>> then I noticed the portage man page, under `Format' does say:
>> "relational operators are not allowed"
>> So I dropped the `>=' part
>>
>>   sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.6
>>
>> Same result from `emerge -vp gentoo-sources' . . .
>>
>> What am I forgetting?
>>

> This is how I do this sort of thing.  I add the name and version to
> package.mask which stops future updates/upgrades.  Example, for my
> nvidia drivers, this is in package.mask.
>
>> =x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-341.0.0
> That tells portage that anything above that version is masked locally
> and not to update it.  For what you want, this should work:
>
>> sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.6
> I removed the equal sign since you want to keep that version around but
> nothing above it.  If portage doesn't like that, you may want to use the
> next version up and have the ">=" in front.  According to what I have
> here, it would be like this:
>
>> =sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.12
> I actually don't show a 4.1.6 here right now.  Removed I guess but
> likely still works.
>
> That goes under /etc/portage/ by the way.  I think you know that already
> but just in case.  I have those moments too.  ;-)
>
> That helps??
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I was triple checking and realized something.  Some of the lines are not
correct.  It seems in my email software at least it puts a little line
in place of the >.  So, let me try this way.

Nvidia is like this:  >=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-341.0.0

Your kernel line may work like this:  >sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.6

Or it may have to be like this if portage doesn't like the above:
>=sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.1.12

Now, let's see if that displays correctly.  I won't know until I send it
and get it back.

Dale

:-)  :-)