* Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> [160227 14:42]:
> I don't know much about PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET and PYTHON_TARGET, it all
> seemed to just work so I never looked further. Until now. Of all
> packages, libreoffice seems to want only python3:

I was in the same position until my last updates didn't work either.

> I can set it in make.conf but as expected that causes all manner of
> other packages to fail emerge checks as they need python2.7.

What I did was add the expanded USE flag for python3_4
(python_single_target_python3_4 I think, but doublecheck the output to
be sure) in package.use for libreoffice for the same reason (I had other
packages that still need python2.7.)
[..SNIP..]

Todd