On 29/02/2016 18:59, James wrote:

>>> Well this just worked fine, but, I'm curious if this (ABI_X86="32 64")
>>> setting in make.conf should be part of any selected profile for amd_64 ?
>
>> It's not in any profiles, you have to set it manually. Doing it globally
>> like you did compiles 32 and 64 bit versions of everything, that will
>> make most gentooers whinge mightily
>

> Is there a provision (mechanism) to have this autoset, if a package dependency
> call for it? The system was fine for a quite a while until I forced it to
> only install 64 bit libs. What's the proper (auto) fix, as I do not remember
> having to have all of these 32 bit libs before, only a few?

There isn't an auto-fix to my knowledge, other than setting the flag
globally in make.conf. At heart ABI_X86 is a USE flag and follows all
the rules of USE flags - you set them globally or per-package.

Do you have an automagic method to enable mysql support for postfix in
one step that will set all needed USE? Mo? Well, there isn't one for
ABX_X86 either. You set the flag on for the 32 bit apps you have, and
follow the chain of incompatible USE all the way to the end. It's a
major pain in the butt.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com