On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 15:26:25 +0000 (UTC)
Martin Vaeth <mar...@mvath.de> wrote:

> »Q« <boxc...@gmx.net> wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 10:50:45 +0000 (UTC)
> > Martin Vaeth <mar...@mvath.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Except generating the metadata by yourself there is not much you
> >> can do.
> >
> > Is it `emerge --regen` which will do that for me?
>
> Not really: this would store the metadata in /var/cache/edb/dep
> To generate the metadata use something like
> egencache --update --repo=gentoo
> but this will be lost with the next syncing.
> If you really want to do this regularly (and be independent of
> gentoo infrastructure) you should perhaps use git instead of rsync

Thanks.  I'll only do it if/when eix disagrees with portage
again.  The issue causes me no real trouble, just causes me a moment of
consternation when eix tells me there should be a downgrade of what
portage has just upgraded;  I only notice it because I run
eix-test-obsolete after every world update.

More than solving this minor annoyance, I've learned a lot from you
about how and where portage handles metadata.  Thanks again!