Hi,

I found that I needed to enable VIRTIO_PCI_LEGACY for the guest kernel.
I've also set 'virtio_pci.force_legacy=1' as kernel command line option.

This was suggested here: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/44573

hw wrote:
Bill Kenworthy wrote:
On 10/03/16 01:56, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 12:41 PM, hw <h...@gc-24.de> wrote:

I'm stuck with 'Could not find the root block device
in UUID= ...' when trying to boot the guest.

Is grub2 unable to work with virtio devices?

Are you sure that is a grub2 message?  It seems more likely that this
is a message from the kernel (unless it is referring to the grub2 root
- posting the entire error would probably help here, and I didn't
realize grub2 even can find its root with a UUID assuming it actually
can).  Does your kernel have virtio support enabled?  What initramfs
are you using?  The problem could lie with either.  See if you can get
the initramfs to give you a shell (usually this can be done with a
kernel command line option) and see what block devices it can see (run
blkid or such).

If you're not using an initramfs then that is your problem.  You can't
use UUID to reference your root if you aren't using an initramfs.

I had to use this on grub install:

grub2-install --target=i386-pc /dev/vda && \
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

It couldn't find the right module without the hint.

That seems to work just fine:

livecd linux # grub2-install /dev/vda
Installing for i386-pc platform.
installation beendet. Keine Fehler aufgetreten.

Do you think it claims to have worked but actually didn't?