Not a lot: I came in late on the thread.

One thing to investigate is if his ISP keeps a local cache of gentoo as
many of the ones in Oz do - they usually dont charge for local (to the
ISP) traffic.  Then unless its openoffice which is a bit big, a
pre-fetch from the ISP at night is a good scenario.

BillK