> On Sat, 26 March 2016, at 2:18 pm, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> …  but I am not sure if this would be necessary these days
> with various UEFI LiveISOs around:

That sounds reasonable. The 1st gen appears to be x86, so I'd suck it and see.

I would try booting with a SystemRescueCD boot stick and, if that works, make a
dd image of the existing system. Then you've always got a place to fall back on
if everything goes wrong.

I haven't installed Gentoo on an ATV, but having installed Gentoo quite a few
times on a variety of devices I recommend you just treat it like any other x86
box and try it. If you can boot it and make a dd image of the original drive
then you have nothing to fear, because you can always restore back to where you
started.

Stroller.