John Lange wrote:
> I'd like to test the newest version of OpenOffice which is 2.0rc1.
>
> I have 1.1.4 installed currently.
>
> When I do emerge --search openoffice it does not show a 2.0 version as
> being available. Is this because I need to "unmask" something or because
> nothing past 1.1.4 is available in the ports yet?
>
> I'm a bit new to this portage system so I still seem to have problems
> figuring out how to keep everything up to date plus sometimes access the
> bleeding edge stuff.

Currently, those are only available with openoffice-bin. I am using
2.0.0rc1 right now. All you need to do is use the appropriate unmask in
/etc/portage/package.unmask (you may need to create /etc/portage/ first:

>=app-office/openoffice-bin-1.9.93

You may also need to set its keywords to ~x86, by adding the following
in /etc/portage/package.keywords (or was it keyword? it's in the portage
man page). I don't need to, as I am ~x86 globally:

app-office/openoffice-bin   ~x86

Tip: Create a binary package of your current openoffice or
openoffice-bin before you merge, you can use that to quickly reinstall
it if you have problems:

quickpkg openoffice openoffice-bin