Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:

> > Therefore, I check the configuration of grub2 and fstab. Then I found
> > that I forgot to modify mount options in fstab.
> > The option of my boot partition was set as noauto. So that I don't use
> > the kernel compiled by myself at all.

> We've all done that. Now I mount /boot as ro in fstab. That way, if I
> forget to remount it before installing a kernel I get an error message
> instead of the kernel just disappearing.

Perhaps a documentation bug should be filed against the handbook or other
gentoo doc explaining some of the security and other approaches
and *why* various approaches are used with mounting strategies for /boot/ is
warranted?

That way, if folks miss it, we can just refer them to the docs and elaborate
a bit. Me, I like to keep lots of kernels around for a variety
of reasons. Maybe in the GSoC effort (Kernelconfig) is a better place to
implement some explanation on the choices of what to do with /boot/ ? [1]

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that all is fine now.

James

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2016/Ideas/kernelconfig