https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_Gentoo#Updating_old_systems
> and stage 3 fails with gcc not able to find cc1.

I never tried that way. I use synced portage by 6 months
intervals, compiled everything (making sure I use the concurrent version
of gcc and it took a few days per old system (i686) or slow x64, but
it works.

That method at the bottom of the page is not what I used.

Also note, I moved the entire world file to a .bak so it was pretty
much walking through the @system packages, no gui. That ways it's very fast.
The only problem I encounterd was some packages where not found, so I fixed
that manually. I walked one up form 2006 and (3) from 2008 old vintage
32 bit intel/amd systems.

good luck.

hth,
James