Daniel Frey <djqfrey <at> gmail.com> writes:

> It appears to be udev. Somewhere along in its stupid detection it
> decides to process USB devices before sata ports, thusly randomly
> renaming the boot drive to something else in the process.

> It took me forever to figure this out, I eventually had a lightbulb
> moment and used my phone to record video of it booting, then slowing it
> down, as when the kernel panics you can't scroll back up to see WTF
> happened.

Kernel crash dumps might help [1]

> This is an older machine, but I'm not convinced it's the motherboard
> doing this. I've checked the boot order in the BIOS. I've also tried
> setting and unsetting "BIOS order determines boot disk" in the kernel
> config and it made no difference.

You might want to 'emerge -1 sys-apps/hwids'

> What eventually fixed it was building USB as modules. (Another kludge!)

There are numerous 'usb sniffers' that  capture data. Some clue
might be found using a usb sniffer.

> I have no custom udev rules, the only rules I could find were in
> /lib/udev/rules.d:

I use sys-fs/eudev.   ymmv.

> Does anyone have any explanation for this daft behaviour or know where I
> should look?
> I have multiple machines and it's only this one that has this problem,
> which happened after a  <at> world update long ago.

If you have a similar setup on similar hardware, then 'diff' the  (dmesg)
boot log files for any differences and analyze.

hth,
James

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_Crash_Dumps