1. Fuck shit up royally.
2. Waddle around squawking about how everything works perfectly for you
and that it's the user's fault.

It's getting to the point that I can't remember a time when running
emerge has not been a week-long ordeal.

I feel that my jackhammer script has been deliberately defeated. Instead
of permitting the user, in the ancient tradition, hit the thing until it
works, emerge honors every package with an excessively specific version
dependency specifier (all set to different versions, of course.)

Of course, if a version of a package is required by hundreds of
packages, it is therefore masked instead of the version that all
packages will probably work just fine with but have e-builds that
prevent them from actually working out of pure spite towards the user. =\

It took me two days to gut my package base enough to get emerge to do
anything, which means I'm getting more skillful at this...

One of my mistakes was uninstalling findutils, which I had to manually
patch.. I never mastered using find because it always takes much less
time to do it with a gui file manager, than to look up the garbled
syntax that stupid utility requires...

Anyway, I have several dozen packages failing due to file collisions
around:

>>> Failed to install net-libs/gnutls-3.4.12, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/net-libs/gnutls-3.4.12/temp/build.log'

 * Messages for package net-libs/gnutls-3.4.12:

 * This package will overwrite one or more files that may belong to other
 * packages (see list below). You can use a command such as `portageq
 * owners / <filename>` to identify the installed package that owns a
 * file. If portageq reports that only one package owns a file then do
 * NOT file a bug report. A bug report is only useful if it identifies at
 * least two or more packages that are known to install the same file(s).
 * If a collision occurs and you can not explain where the file came from
 * then you should simply ignore the collision since there is not enough
 * information to determine if a real problem exists. Please do NOT file
 * a bug report at http://bugs.gentoo.org unless you report exactly which
 * two packages install the same file(s). See
 * http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Knowledge_Base:Blockers for tips on how to
 * solve the problem. And once again, please do NOT file a bug report
 * unless you have completely understood the above message.
 *
 * Detected file collision(s):
 *
 *      /usr/share/doc.ecompress.dir
 *      /usr/share/man.ecompress.dir
 *
 * Searching all installed packages for file collisions...
 *
 * Press Ctrl-C to Stop
 *
 * media-libs/libpng-1.6.22:0::gentoo
 *      /usr/share/doc.ecompress.dir
 *      /usr/share/man.ecompress.dir
 *
 * sys-libs/gdbm-1.12:0::gentoo
 *      /usr/share/doc.ecompress.dir
 *      /usr/share/man.ecompress.dir
 *
 * Package 'net-libs/gnutls-3.4.12' NOT merged due to file collisions. If
 * necessary, refer to your elog messages for the whole content of the
 * above message.

 * GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
Scanning Configuration files...
Exiting: Nothing left to do; exiting. :)
tortoise ~ #

mostly......

So I need a new translation of "FUCK YOU" that will cause emerge to
actually install the packages instead of using this as an excuse to
waste my time. I did google this but it was only reporting threads from
2008, and I'm sure the syntax and best practices have changed...

--
IQ is a measure of how stupid you feel.

Powers are not rights.