Raphael MD <raphaxx <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I've tried to install a Brother DCP-L8400CDN network laser printer

'eix -R brother' show me a multitude of brother printer overlays that may
help. Find the model closest to your printer and edit the overlay(ebuild).

<snip>
net-print/brother-mfc-235c-drivers [1]
     Available versions:  ~1^s
     Homepage:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#DCP-J315W

* net-print/brother-mfc-j265w-drivers
     Available versions:  ~1^s[1] ~1^s[5]
     Homepage:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public_s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#DCP-J315W

* net-print/brother-mfcj480dw [2]
     Available versions:  ~20150110^s {metric}
     Homepage:
http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj480dw_us_eu_as

* net-print/brother-hl5340d-drivers

<end/snip>

I have a collection of links to older brother documentation for gentoo
hacked brother installs. Let me know if you want that list of other's
methods to get them to work with cups.

Sorry things are not in better shape, no gentoo
dev has embraced setting up bother printer installations for gentoo
as other distros have. So you have to experiment and hack your way
to success. Lots of folks have done this over the years....

hth,
James