On 07/31/2016 06:47 AM, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I've just encountered something I can't explain. Can anyone here?
>
> ~ $ genlop -c -f /mnt/rescue/var/log/emerge.log
> using logfile /mnt/rescue/var/log/emerge.log
>
>  Currently merging 281 out of 287
>
>  * net-libs/gnutls-3.3.24
>
>        current merge time: 1 minute and 44 seconds.
>        ETA: less than a minute.
>
>  Currently merging 264 out of 287
>
>  * sys-devel/gcc-4.9.3
>
>        current merge time: 7 minutes and 12 seconds.
>        ETA: 3 minutes and 13 seconds.
>
> $ genlop -c -f /mnt/rescue/var/log/emerge.log
> using logfile /mnt/rescue/var/log/emerge.log
>
>  Currently merging 264 out of 287
>
>  * sys-devel/gcc-4.9.3
>
>        current merge time: 15 minutes and 19 seconds.
>        ETA: 3 minutes and 41 seconds.
>
> How is it possible for genlop's reported ETA to increase while its time
> spent so far also increases?

It is an estimate (a prediction) so it's subject to change.

> Could the concurrent gnutls merging have
> affected it? Surely not.

Probably, I don't know if genlop takes that into account. But there's countless
factors that affect build time that it's practically impossible to predict
accurately. So it means nothing.

Does that estimate even look reasonable to you?
gnutls compiles in a few minutes but gcc takes significantly longer for me.

> Nothing else was running, apart from some file copying between external
> disks.

- --

Fernando Rodriguez